Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Safe as houses....

I had a bit of a shock last Thursday when I arrived at my shop in the morning there was a circular scratch which, on closer inspection, had been done with a sharp knife or more likely a glass cutter, right next to the yale lock. This obviously had the effect of making me feel insecure and wondering if I'm due a break in; apart from anything else it looks a bit unsightly and I may have to replace the glass in the door for cosmetic reasons. It is toughened, wire reinforced glass so, whilst not inpenetrable, the thieves would have had a job on trying to get through. In fact it would probably have been alot easier to kick the door in or use a jammy knife (not that I want to give potential burglars any clues! I didn't think much more of it for the next hour or two until, low and behold, I got a telesales cold call from a residential security company calling themselves Landmark Security (I'm pretty sure that's what they said) saying that my address had been selected as a show home for their services and would I consider a representative coming around to explain the deal. You know the sort of thing. I explained that I'm a business address and the lady said something like she was so sorry to have troubled me. Now am I jumping to huge conclusions here, is it just my imagination running away with me (like in the Rolling Stones song) or this this more than a coincidence? Are there security firms out there so desparate and unscrupulous that they'll send someone round to given addresses in advance of the sale call to, let's just say give them a little bit of an emotional advantage. The more I think about it, since I've never before in the five years I've been here and, come to think of it, in the twenty five that I've been a home owner either, had such a cold call before this raises too many questions for it to be mere coincidence. Anyone else had such an experience?...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its a good job it wasn't a firm seling fire extinquishers!