Wednesday, November 30, 2011

More on A Boards....

Thanks very much for the anonymous comment yesterday tipping off traders that there is a new scheme called 'A Board Aware' which seems to be allowing businesses to use A Boards so long as they do so with consideration for pedestrians. It is particularly aimed at avoiding obstructions on the pavement for mothers with push chairs, wheel chair users and disabled people. Now that seems fair enough to me. I would say that my A Board has always complied with this new Kent County Council initiative so I do feel a little like I'm being forced to agree with the rather obvious. That said I suppose there's always that small minority of traders who just don't care about anyone else and will stick their board in the middle of the main A21 if they thought that they could get away with it. The vast majority of traders though are much more thoughtful citizens and are part of the community themselves; they probably have families themselves and, generally, would want to totally minimise obstruction of the pavement.
Anyway I've applied for my special window sticker that tells all my lovely customers that I'm on board with the A Board Aware scheme! I'm quite sure that they'll all feel much warmer towards me for that and spend even more of their hard earned cash in Mr. Books! If you're really interested, and I've no idea why most of you would be, then here's the email I sent to KCC Roadworks Licencing (yes it really does fall under their jurisdiction.)

"Hello, I've just found out about this excellent new scheme and would like to sign up to comply with the requirements of the scheme.
The A board to me, especially in the current difficult economic climate is an essential way of drawing people off the High Street and into my shop. I would go as far as to say that I would find it incredibly difficult to survive without one. I would always be responsible when placing the board on the pavement outside my shop being always mindful of pedestrians. In fact this is relatively easy for me, being on the corner of Bank Street where there is a very wide pavement at the apex of the junction with the High Street. I would never place the A board on the main thoroughfare of the pavement or public highway.
I would be delighted to display a window sticker demonstrating that I fully support the A Board Aware scheme. My business and contact details are below and please see pictures of my A Board in typical position,
Regards"

7 comments:

Tonbridge blogger said...

As a footnote to this: the email I sent by clicking on KCC's web site link bounced back to me. When I phoned them they suggested that it be sent to highways@kent.gov.uk with an explanation accompanying it instead. That fills me full of confidence in the system I must say!

Anonymous said...

I hope the street lamp by your board is working!

sebfox said...

How did that hole happen? Has someone been nicking bits of the pavement?

Anonymous said...

I remember during the flood of 1968 me and my friends used to have swimming races between the Angel pub and the Chequers. My best pal at the time was ‘Nobby’ Cuthbertson and he managed it in 2min 38secs which i thought was very good. He could probably have done it faster but the last bit was up hill. Does anyone else have any interesting stories about the flood?

sebfox said...

Lucky for us, my father had just converted the family car ( a Morris Oxford) into a submarine. Being an ex navy man, he used the diesel engine and periscope from a German U boat which he brought down over France with a single shot from his service revolver in 1943.
I can still remember the expressions of amazement on local shop owners' faces as we drove down the high street under 40 feet of water on our way to the newly constructed Sainsbury "supermarket"!
In 1972, when the flood waters finally receded, the Morris Oxford was melted down by the river authority and was used to make rivets and bolts for the flood barrier. A fitting end, I think..

Anonymous said...

In the September 1968 flood the part of the High Street between the Big Bridge and the Chequers was dry so its amazing that your pal could swim pass the Castle Inn.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame the council don't get tougher with the likes of ASK and The Wharf pub that seem to have their Boards right out in the middle of the pavement all the time. You can't even walk past let alone try and get past with a buggy or wheelchair! I think ASK have moved theirs in, but only by slightly...these young oiks nowadays...