Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A brand new bright tomorrow for Tonbridge?...

So what is happiness? Is it possible to measure it? Can money bring it? We all want it, we all talk about it, we all enjoy songs about it. There's a great deal about happiness from the current government and well known journalists writing about it. Policians, philosophers and businessmen have tried to break down the causes of it almost from the beginning of recorded time to try to find out whether it is defineable and measureable. And yet I doubt whether we even know ourselves whether or not we truely are HAPPY. We can feel happy on a night out with friends, or if we win a bet at the bookies, even after a nice meal; but does that make us deep down contented. I often look miserable and deep in thought but feel happy inside. Does any of this matter? So Tonbridge Blog this week asks the question: is Tonbridge an up town or a down town? Are the people happy or just muddling along.

As Morcambe and Wise put it:
"In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow....

Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love."

Or maybe you prefer Ken Dodd's version:
"Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
I thank the Lord I've been blessed
With more than my share of happiness

To me this old world is a wonderful place
And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
I've got no silver and I've got no gold
Just a whole lot of happiness in my soul...."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it would be a better place if people would only pause for a moment, and count their blessings, and stop shopping and thinking so materialistically. Well, it's Good Friday today, so why not reflect on the glorious hymn which says it all; that being 'When I survey the wondrous cross, on which the Prince of Glory died, My richest gains I count but loss, And pour contempt on all my pride.'