Thursday, June 28, 2012

Working the Door for The Three Degrees....

And speaking of the performance by The Three Degrees last Sunday evening at K College myself and another big fella (Alan) from the organising committee offered to be on the door for the evening. Actually I believe the phrase is "working the door." A little known fact about Tonbridge Blog is that I did used to be a doorman, okay let's call it what everyone used to call it, a bouncer. Back in my student days, in order to earn a bit of cash me and my mate Steve used to be "Security Men" on the door of Loughborough Student Union building. Because there was always a little tension between the students and the young people from the town (Townies as we used to call them) quite often, charged up by alot of lager, things would kick off, mostly the trouble was nipped in the bud but, just occasionally, there'd be a mass brawl which could be quite scarey and a little exciting too. So you see for me the Three Degrees concert was not only a very enjoyable performance but also like going back thirty years. In those days I took the job pretty seriously; you had to have your wits about you if there was trouble. So, last Sunday, although the body has slowed down a little, the old instincts I found were still very much intact! I found myself eyeing people up to size up whether they were likely to cause trouble. I looked people over, especially the blokes, to see whether they were likely to be packing, you know, tooled up. I greeted the band members at the door in a doorman-like fashion, directing sponsors, artists and public with a calm, confident and assured smile. Friendly yet no nonsense. Ready to respond if necessary. I was tempted to say to people "Sorry mate no trainers or jeans" but then I realised that they are now allowed these days, encouraged even. If I'm honest I don't know which I enjoyed more. The performances or being back working the door!...

1 comment:

Paul Bailey said...

I don't know, some people will do anything to see a gig for free!!