Wednesday, March 23, 2016

P'd Off with the P Off again....

The Post Office are at it again. No amount of customer friendly counter can prepare you for the outrage of being charged over ten quid for 0.087 of a kg of parcel. That's 87 grams I'm talking about. How is this possible? I can sense some of you thinking. Well here's how. A UK parcel weighing up to 2kg costs a very reasonable £2.80 BUT my package was 2.087 kg (a heavy book) with the cheapest charge being £12.93 for Parcelforce. Normal 2nd class would have been even more! You would think for all the world that the PO would have another tiered rate for, say 3kg/4kg etc. but that seems far too logical for them. The result I had no option but to cough up (short of opening up the envelope and tearing out some of the pages of the book to get it below the dreaded 2kg mark. But even my mercenary tendencies wouldn't go quite that far!) Mind you, looking on the bright side, £12.93 is still cheaper than taking the parcel up to Warwickshire myself! Unless I walked or cycled there of course, which might still be quicker than Parcelforce come to think of it!! (Now you've just gone too far with that last bit, Ed.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why anyone still uses the Post Office for parcels is a wonder. According to my usual comparison website, it should cost you £5 - £6 for that weight of parcel. See here https://www.parcel2go.com/quotes?col=219&dest=219&p=1~2.09#/results
You're welcome

Tonbridge blogger said...

I might try that Doddle place next time. But actually it's very rare that I have to post anything over 2kg so it just caught me on the hop...

Anonymous said...

Just for you TB, the Sub PO in Higham Lane is moving across the road to the newsagents. Seems that the current owner is retiring. The new set up if its approved will open from 6am to 10pm mon to sat AND 7.30am to 10pm on sunndays,

Unknown said...

I've barely received any post for weeks. I suspect because my postman is a lazy sod who can't be arsed to climb the steps to my front door. Things I've definitely posted (some very important) aren't turning up. I've contacted all the relevant people to get this addressed but I guess they replied to my concerns via letter and it's ended up in a bin.