Monday, April 27, 2009

Earning your Sunday lunch....

Went for a little stroll over to Penshurst yesterday. At least that's what I thought it was! The others in my family plus the German exchange student, we have staying with us at the moment, thought it was some sort of nomadic migration. It is an easyish bike ride from the Castle to Penshurst; but it takes a good two and a half hours each way on foot. Still it was a lovely day, so, as we didn't have enough bikes to go around, off we toddled. I've done the trip several times on the bike, but never walked it before; there are a few boring stretches but on the whole it was picturesque and peaceful, once you'd got clear on that blot on the landscape that is the A21. In fact for much of it you're following the Eden Valley walk, occasionally following the cycle route, which is a little annoyingly busy on a sunny day. I'd promised the family and our German guest a nice traditional English roast Sunday lunch in an old English pub at the half way point. I must admit that even I was glad to see the welcoming doors of the Leicester Arms on our arrival in Penshurst. Two hours later we emerged, after roast beef and yorkshire pud, followed by apple crumble for the slow trek back to Tonbridge; still at least my wallet was a hundred quid lighter! I even caught a bit of sun and certainly feel healthier, if a little achey, today for it. Beats driving there and feeling totally stuffed afterwards in my book every time. My mum would be proud of me, we'd earned our Sunday lunch!...

No comments: