Friday, April 24, 2009

Jack Cardiff dies....

I bet not many of you knew that Oscar winning cinematographer and film director, Jack Cardiff, who died yesterday, lived the last years of his life in Sevenoaks and was often in the Tonbridge area. I had the good fortune to be invited to his house a year or so ago to assess his book collection and briefly met him. He had many rare art books for example and a few special signed first editions. The walls of his house were decorated with framed photos and film memorabilia. His books were all over the house so I had a great opportunity to nose around a bit and was particularly struck by one poster which was hung up on the wall of his study. The inscription underneath the photo of a glamourous blond film star read "I wish I could look as good as you make me look" Signed Marilyn Monroe! Needless to say, it wasn't for sale but just seeing it was something to remember....

No comments: