Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mr. Books is to close....

Mr. Books will be closing it's doors for good not in 2027, as had been originally planned, but instead it will close a year later in 2028. What's he banging on about now? I hear some of you saying. As the meercat says: It's simples! Nick Clegg, George Osbourne, Iain Duncan-Smith and Co. are conspiring to raise the age at which you can claim the state pension from 65 to 66 which means another year of sitting here in my Tonbridge bookshop reading books when I could be sat at home, er, reading books. Apparently we are all living too long and have no right to have more than our fair share of happy workless and stress free days. So, if I only get me three score years and ten in, that's just 4 years that the mean sods will have to pay out. However, if I live to 103 then I'll be laughing all the way to Tonbridge Post Office, that is if my mobility scooter will fit through the doors. I'd actually like to make a sensible suggestion, if you'll allow me to. David Cameron I hope you are listening: Why not make the pension age partly dependent on whether or not you actually want to retire, some will but lots won't, and also allow people with poorer health to be signed off at 65, or perhaps earlier, by a doctor so they can receive their pensions. That way only the fit and really healthy over 65's end up working longer and, since they are the people who will probably want to then everybody's happy. The trade off might be that the longer you are in work then the bigger pension you get when you actually take your well earned retirement. Worth a thought?...

No comments: