Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Apple shop for Tonbridge?....

Being a bookseller I should be anti i-pads and i-phones shouldn't I? They are, after all, likely to help cause the long and painful slow death of the printed book aren't they? So why did I find myself in the i-store (or should that be i-bore?!) shop in Tunbridge Wells yesterday eyeing up the sexy looking pieces of kit. (Why does Tun Wells get all the good shops?!) I spent a good twenty minutes or so in there fiddling around with touch screens, i-stores, i-pod touches, wireless keyboards and mice, looking at the compatible Bose speakers with their i-docks and a multitude of cases and other accessories for that highly necessary electronic device. It's hard to be cynical because the truth is that Apple have just taken the world by storm with these gadgets and, as if I needed convincing of that, as I stood fiddling with an i-touch, whilst standing at the counter three i-pads were sold. Now, at an average £499 a throw, that's a very lucrative twenty minutes in anyone's book and at least as much as Mr. Books takes on the average Tuesday morning! Personally I think I'll wait for the new i-pod touch rumoured to be launching soon with extra bells and whistles; far more portable than an i-pad although a little fiddly if you've got large hands. Is Tonbridge ready for an apple shop I wonder?...

No comments: