Friday, March 22, 2013

Anthony Horowitz on BBC Question Time Panel....

I had a very early start to my day yesterday; up at 5-30am for a drive over to Gatwick Airport, coffee at my sister's (who lives over that way) and back to Tonbridge to open up Mr. Books only a little late. Then quite a hectic day in the shop. So you can imagine that by the time one of my must watch TV programmes of the week, Question Time, came on I was understandably starting to nod off on the sofa. As the guests were introduced I was told by Mr. Dimbleby that Anthony Horowitz was on the panel. Having hosted a book signing event with the writer only a few weeks ago I was naturally interested to hear what he had to say about the more serious issues of the country. I wanted him to hold strong, yet balanced views on a range of topics and not to be frivolous and shoot from the hip as so many of the non politician guests tend to. And I wasn't to be disappointed. He gave very well considered and forthright comments on the whole and his views seemed to be well received by the York audience. The Education Secretary Michael Gove seemed particularly to welcome Anthony as the two men seemed to agree whole heartedly on the need to teach proper grammar  and story construction in schools as the building block before children should become creative. He was fast talking as well , my Gosh he was, showing a passion to get his views across. Joking at one point that he wasn't an economist Dimbleby replied that, by the way he was talking, it sounded like he was! To which, quick as a flash, Mr. Horowitz replied that naturally he had swotted up ahead of his appearance in Question Time! Anthony it certainly showed. Just slow down a little next time you're on so that you're not speaking at 100 miles an hour and you're sure to be a regular panelist. Mind you this fast talking certainly kept me from nodding off. That came later during one of my other must watch programmes, This Week, which I always think should be on a bit earlier. One more thing to Anthony Horowitz, if you can find an excuse to give us poor independent bookshops a plug next time on the show that would be an added bonus....

No comments: