Thursday, May 23, 2013

A little bit of politics....

The Thatcher books have been selling well I have to say. In fact I've sold several copies overseas as well as the one's before and after Charles Moore, the author's, signing at Mr. Books. It seems that some folk don't mind paying full price for a signed copy of this particular book. The more I read of it, and I was far from being a fan of the late Margaret Thatcher, the more I think that it will go down as a very serious and thorough account of her life. I'm sure that Charles intended it to be exactly that as each piece of evidence, each archive, is carefully footnoted so that historians, ever after, can verify and perhaps expand upon this information. The book reminds me a little of some of the academic journals and papers I read when studying Economic History at university all those years ago. It may even be judged a masterpiece of biographical writing one day. That said I wouldn't necessarily take The Authorized Biography as your beach time holiday reading unless of course you want to appear intellectual or else you want  to wear your political leanings on your sleeve. But it is worth spending some time wading through its 859 pages. And that's just volume one!...

No comments: