Friday, February 25, 2011

Tonbridge Half Marathon: A public declaration....

Tonbridge Blog has been looking for an excuse to get really fit again for quite some time. You see back in the day I used to be as fit as a butcher's dog. Played rugby, was a county standard hurdler at schoolboy level and wasn't a bad 400 metre runner either. I could hold my own on the football pitch as a defender also. I went to the gym, went running, cycling, swimming, trail walking, climbing. You get the picture. Nowadays I read quite a bit, lift a few boxes of books in and out of the shop but other than that I sit and watch my slowly expanding belly get ever larger! So I was delighted when sat reading the local rag this morning to see Kelly Holmes' smiling face grinning back at me. She is looking a lot prettier these days, it has to be said, but that is beside the point. She is championing the Tonbridge Half Marathon which is scheduled for September 25th this year and that is just the excuse I need to get my fitness back on track. I could just do it through will power alone but I've always found that you tend to stick to things much more if you have a goal in sight, a solid reason for pushing yourself to new limits. This is especially so if it involves public embarrassment if you make an idiot of yourself. So here it is then: I publicly declare that I am putting myself forward for this year's half marathon, not to win it but to run it in a respectable time. What that realistic time is I don't know yet; I'm sure one or two readers will have suggestions!...

1 comment:

Tonbridge blogger said...

Well I've been and gone and done it I've stumped up me £20 and put in the online entry form. Really easy to do, a doddle in fact. Now the hard bit. The months of training, the evenings pounding those pavements, the summer Sundays running around Barden Lake. I figured I might start my routine around late March, maybe April or May. The key thing is not to peak to soon!...