Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon last Sunday....

Came in with a half decent time in the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon and, on the whole, enjoyed the day. Here's what I've just posted on Runner's World web site and it is meant as well intentioned criticism:

Overall the day was very enjoyable and those hills, even though expected/dreaded, were worse than I thought they'd be. Marshalling seemed spot on, atmosphere a little clubby but maybe that's to be expected. Should I really complain about lack of goody bag and Kelly Holmes not staying at the finish line past the 2 hour mark? Maybe I should just have been a bit quicker than my pedestrian 2:14! Actually yes I think complaints on this are justified. After all without the slower runners, who are mostly beginners in need of encouragement, there'd be no race except an elitist clubby event which made no money. Without the back markers the generous prizes (£1,000) for course record breaking runs, however justified, just wouldn't be feasible. It's the popularity of the event which attracts the sponsors and the top runners. You knew how many had entered the race so next year TWHM organisers please, please recognise that you need the 2 to 3 hour runners more than we need you. Give us a medal from Dame Kelly and the goody bag we've earned. Failing that at least a bottle of water at the end!"

Having said all that I am very pleased to have taken part and it's given me the appetite do enter the Paddock Wood Half on April 1st and the Tonbridge Half on September 25th. I may even spend some of my hard earned cash on a GPS sports watch, so that I know how far and how fast I'm going in training, and those barefoot running shoes I've been eyeing up. You can see mine and many other competitors comments here if you're interested. Although I recognise that, just because I've caught the running bug doesn't mean that everyone has. I'll continue to bore you all to death for a good few weeks yet though don't you worry!...

1 comment:

Paul Bailey said...

Well done for completing the half marathon TB, but please don't bore us too much to death on the subject!