Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bionic Man....

I'm reading an excellent book at the moment called The Runner's Body. It's the result of research by two top sports scientists called Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas who are often quoted in the quality national press. As some of you may know, distance running has become a little craze of mine over the last year so the book is particularly relevant to me. Here's an interesting observation from reading this book. It turns out that my worry about the effect of the stress on my ageing body is largely unfounded as it seems that, so long as I'm patient and build up slowly, not only do I get fitter and ache less the more effort I put in but also my body is strengthening all the while. It's adapting gradually with every training session and recovery period to become a runners body. It rebuilds itself and changes for the task of running. Bones become stronger and more resistant to impact and muscles become bigger, leaner and better for the work and the impact forces being put upon them. Now even if you're not into running you still have to admit that all of this is quite remarkable. It's hard to imagine that we'll ever be able to design any bionic man or woman, with all out space age technology, even nearly as good as nature provides us with. Quite phenomenal in fact....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmn... so, exercise more, get fitter? not rocket science is it :-)