Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Strawberries and cream anyone?...

Where can you still pick your own around Tonbridge? I remember when I moved here nearly twenty years ago that Mabledon Farm was a lovely place to stroll along to on a summers day to fill up a few punnets and stock up on strawberries for the seemingly brief time they were in season. More often than not, if I'm honest, I have to admit that I would not only fill up the punnet, but also fill up my gob as I merrily picked away, deluding myself that I was some kind of hunter gatherer! Thinking about it that's probably half the reason you don't see so many PYO signs any more. The sight of me with my punnet half filled and pink stain around my mouth at the check out must have been anoying at best. Sorry about that farms, but I'm sure that it wasn't all my fault. I did laugh out loud today though when a news item brought up the demise of the PYO farm, citing one example of a farmer who even spotted pickers carrying pots of cream to dip their strawberries into while out in the fields! I wish I'd thought of that!!..

No comments: