Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bird's eye view....

Now this may sound a little like Tonbridge blog has turned into a great big softie but I was a little sad this morning as it appears that I may have scared a mother bird away from it's nest. Over the weekend I had noticed a black bird (I'm no ornithologist but I think it was) flying in and out of the bush between our conservatory and next door's fence. On closer inspection I saw something I've never seen before: a nest with mother bird sitting on its eggs right there through the window next to us. Yes I know you see it all the time on programmes like Bill Oddie's Springwatch but this was live right there in front of me! A mother bird protecting its eggs, with its beak sticking over the top of the nest. It looked frightened, its left eye keeping a good watch on its new found giant neighbours, perhaps that's what they always look like all the time close up, but I would say it was scared. Of course I couldn't resist taking a few close up photos, although the nest was well camalflaged so it's actually quite hard to spot the bird on the snap, even close up, mainly due to the reflections in the glass. All of this understandable attention to our feathered friend though has, and this is the sad bit, resulted in the bird flying the nest leaving four beautifully colourful eggs in the bottom of the nest. At least it wasn't there yesterday at night fall, nor was it there at around 8am this morning. I hope I'm wrong but it does look like the eggs will not hatch. So no chicks being born, no chicks being fed to show my kids and no more priceless photos. I tried not to interfere, but us humans just can't stop ourselves can we....

No comments: