Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hot summer nights, alcohol and swimming in rivers just don't mix....

Driving through Tonbridge High Street, late last night (around midnight) there were two Police cars and an ambulance parked next to the town bridge and a small crowd of young people were gathered peering over into the water. I do hope it's not another tragic incident involving young folk having a few too many drinks on a hot summer's evening, thinking they're invincible, wanting to cool off, wanting to show off, and then getting int difficulty in the river, with terrible consequences. I don't know if that has happened, but I wouldn't be at all surprised since it has happened about every three years since I've lived in Tonbridge. It will be a terribly sad sight to see yet more flowers tied to the railings on that bridge, from which some say the town gets its name. I know it's hardly worth even uttering, but when will they learn? We're a pretty robust lot us humans, in the main, but sometimes I wonder how any of us manage to reach the age of thirty....

No comments: