Saturday, July 18, 2009

Who is Tonbridge's oldest man? (or woman?)

As Britain's (and the World's) oldest man, Henry Allingham, passes on TonbridgeBlog would like to start the quest to find Tonbridge's oldest living resident. It would be lovely if it turned out to be someone as full of the charisma and charm that Mr Allingham seemed to have even in his advanced years, someone who has served their country or the community in the same way as he did. I'm not sure that I'd like to live that long though actually as he must have seen all his loved ones, including his children and maybe even grand children, get old and die in that time. I'll settle for sitting in a deck chair on my 90th birthday, with ten of my great grand children running around my feet, as I slowly fall asleep and slip away. Anyway have a great weekend everyone, lots to live for....

4 comments:

Paul Bailey said...

It might be more difficult than you think, trying to establish the oldest person in Tonbridge. I think that you'll actively have to search out this one, rather than hope the information's going to come to you. It may be worth phoning round some of the local old people's homes, but will they be allowed to reveal what is, after all, confidential information?

Good luck though with the quest.

Anonymous said...

You could trawl through the last census and have a look. It would give you an idea I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I think he works in B&Q!

Anonymous said...

I'm a hunred and twelvty. Do I win £5?