Saturday, March 27, 2010

Forty to one....

At the risk of inflaming an old row I couldn't help but notice the small piece in this week's Courier about the Oxfam shop opening (by the Lady Mayor of Tonbridge and Malling no less!) My views on the subject are, I hope, now clear so I won't dwell on that but I did have a little moment of amazement when I read that the new Oxfam manager's target for volunteers is 40 people. FORTY people, that is to say FOUR ZERO. I know that their shop is a little bigger than Mr. Books and that they are mostly giving their services away for nothing, but that's only just over an hour a week each. Even as a volunteer you'd have thought that people would be able to give it at least a half day wouldn't you? I'm only jealous really of course. I've managed perfectly well with just me and the odd part time cover from friends for holidays etc for the last five years....

3 comments:

alesteir crowley said...

hang-on, these people are doing this for charity. It didn't take you long to start giving them your shoot-from-the-hip slagging-off. Was it their turn? Do you do it alphabetically?

Can you get 2 people in your shop?

Anonymous said...

I find the "Crowley comments" very sad - they just detract from a very interesting local blog. Isn't it about time this moved on....

Tonbridge blogger said...

I think you're right Anon. but then again the audience figures did go up quite dramatically....