Friday, May 14, 2010

Go and see Men of the World....

I went to see an absolutely brilliant play last night at the Trinity Art Theatre in Tunbridge Wells (yes even I stray over the border sometimes!) It was The Hull Truck Theatre Company's "Men of the World" written by John Godber, about drivers from a fictitious, and very northern, coach company. It was full of typical Godber observations of the lives of northern working class folk as they endure a long coach trip to the Rhine with old folk from Yorkshire on, as one of them put it, "the crinckly run" seen through the eyes of the drivers. There are only three actors in it and very few props (mostly suit cases, hats and scarves) but they play about forty people by the use of clever switches of head gear and instantly changed facial contortions! Maybe it's because I'm a northern lad me self that I thought it was superb and laughed out embarassingly loud on several occasions throughout the two hour production. If you have ever seen Godber's most famous play, "Bouncers," you'll enjoy the gritty atmosphere, the one liners and the darkness and the sadness of it all; but also the happiness, the sense of cameraderie and the uplifting spirit underlying the play. Yes it was sort of "Bouncers" but with coach drivers doing the observing but, nevertheless, it stood out on it's own and was still fabulous. For me one of the best lines of the night is when a clapped out older character, during a spat with one of the younger drivers, says in a defiant tone: "Wallis Arnold came and told me they wanted me to work for them!" In other words his version of "I could have been a contender!" Ok not funny at all out of context so you'll have to go and see the play yourselves; and you can because it's on for the next two nights as well....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not covering the big fire of Tonbridge then?

Paul Bailey said...

From what you say TB, this play sounds pretty good. Unfortunately whenever people tell me that I must see a film or a play, or read a certain book, it automatically puts me off. A hangover from school days perhaps, but I don't like being told what I should, or should not, see, read or listen to!

ps. I really detest books, or websites with titles such as 1,000 Places to See Before You Die; 500 Things to Do Before You Die, etc. Unfortunately, the authors of these books/sites know that there are a lot of gulible, sheep-like people out there who will fall for this type of lazy journalism hook, line and sinker. In fact many people are so lacking in imagination and inspiration that they need to be told where to go, how to think etc.

This is all well and good for the authors (pretentious twats) of these sort of coffee table/colour supplement, light-weight, easy to produce publications, and no doubt they are laughing all the way to the bank, but I prefer to make my own decisions in life. (That told you didn't it!).

Anonymous said...

I think Paul needs to get out more often.

Paul Bailey said...

You are probably right, anonymous!