Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring Tonbridge into life....

There was something missing last weekend in Tonbridge and I think I know what it was. The May Day Bank Holiday w/e seems to always have a buzz about it in the town. But why not this time then? Well, I'll admit, that book lovers were catered for with my own little effort the West Kent Book Fair (in case you missed the plugs;) post card collectors were in Seventh Heaven at the Post Card Fair at the Angel Centre. But, that only a tiny proportion of the overall population. I never thought I'd say this but there was still something missing: I think that something was The Tonbridge Garden and Home Show. People who have lived in our fair town had, in truth grown a little tired of it and had stopped going altogether; at it's height the event used to attract around 15,000 extra people into Tonbridge. If the previous organisers are honest they would admit that they had grown weary of laying on the event year after year. It needed the fresh impetus of the new show organisers; so it was a bit of a curious decision not to go ahead with the show this year recession or no recession; surely they don't want anyone to sneak in there and set up a rival event. I even thought about putting the word out and latching the event onto the book fair so it must have crossed the minds of other more seasoned organisers. That said it's their shout really so lets wish them luck for next year and bring some life back to the town centre next May....

No comments: