Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Curved balls....

"Good wood 'arry!" "Your end Pete!" These were some of the cries I remember being shouted as a lad as I caught a glimpse of the world of bowls over the fence at my local park. No not bowling. Bowls. Proper bowls, not the American ten pin variety which most youngsters now play with such enthusiasm. The type you do on a green which has been kept like a snooker baize, by a faithful semi-retired groundsman, so that old men and ladies can skilfully curve their woods into the jack (small white ball) Well why should it be just for oldies when actually its an immensely enjoyable and skilful game and can be highly competitive, but is usually wonderfully gentle. Most importantly of all, it gets you out the house and into the great outdoors. In fact I remember playing the game as a ten or eleven year old with other kids from my neighbourhood; I grew up in a seaside resort right near some beautifully kept greens. I wouldn't say that I'd become an expert but was able to play with a degree of competence; anyway life took over and I can't remember playing for at least twenty years. Tonbridge Bowls club, who are based at Tonbridge Farm, and have a history going back to 1906, is keen to encourage more people to try out the sport, or is it a pastime, or is it a game (who cares it's good fun and moderately energetic) and why shouldn't you. They have "roll ups" on Thursday evenings throughout the Summer, I think that means try-out sessions rather than sitting on the side lines rolling tobacco into cigarette papers (although I dare say some members do that as well!). Check out the club's web site for more details. Now do any other clubs want a free advert before Tonbridge blog starts charging for them?...

No comments: