Thursday, July 29, 2010

Holiday reads....

Now I don't want Tonbridge Bloggers to go thinking that TBlog has turned into a beer blog so let's talk books. Holiday books, books for the beach, flight, hotels room or wherever else you find yourselves relaxing in August. I am putting my little pile together which includes The Siege Of Krishnapur by JG Farrell and, this year's Booker Prize winner, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I'm reliably informed by several customers of Mr. Books that they are both well worth a read. I'm working on a third book to read and would welcome any suggestions. It's odd, being a bookseller who is surrounded by books every day that I actually don't get tha much time to read novels any more. I tend to read books that just take my fancy, be it a local interest book or a military history book, and that I can just dip into and not necessarily read the whole thing in one go. So every year, about this time I make a point of reading novels which I just wouldn't get around to reading any other time....

3 comments:

Paul Bailey said...

I would thoroughly recommend "Atlas Shrugged" by the Russian-American authoress, Ayn Rand. It's set in a near future America and is about what happens to society when the leading innovators and industrialists mysteriously disappear.

It's a well written and compelling novel, that has become a modern classic.

btw. I bought my copy in your shop, so unless you have another in stock, don't go looking for it on the shelves!

Anonymous said...

Try Engleby by Sebastian Faulks if you haven't already read it - a brilliant book - I couldn't put it down

Anonymous said...

Wolf Hall? Reading War & Peace in Japanese whilst sticking needles into your eyes would be more pleasurable.