Thursday, July 8, 2010

War and Peace Show at the Hop Farm....

Now I've never been to the War and Peace Show which is held at the Hop Farm, Paddock Wood every July but I understand that it's quite phenomenal. That is if you like tanks, weaponry, swing music and every piece of military memorabilia you could imagine. A few of the visitors and exhibitors have been known to pop into Mr. Books in Bank Street, Tonbridge when they're over here and Boy do they know their military books! They come from all over the UK to visit the show but also from all over Europe, especially from Holland and Germany, often bringing their armoured vehicles with them! The show runs for five days from July 21st-25th. One of these years I'll take a stand selling books at the War and Peace Show; I've probably missed a trick as the organisers claim aprox 10,000 visitors through the gates every year. My God that's almost an invasion force!...

3 comments:

hallum said...

I went to it many years ago when it was held at West Malling. Most of the audience seemed to be radio2 listeners called Ted 'n Doreen from Sidcup.
I know I should become more rightwing with age, but popular jingoism still leaves me vaguely uneasy.

Tony said...

Wasn't there a load of Nazi's there a few years ago? BBC documentary about it?

Tonbridge blogger said...

I noticed on the War and Peace Show web site that they have a stern warning to exhibitors selling any concentration camp and jewish/holocaust type material. Exhibitors are warned that, if they are found to be selling antything along those lines that they will be told to pack up there and then and won't be allowed to exhibit again. Can't say fairer than that really. Although it's a chilling thought that there's even a market in such dark memorabilia but I suppose it's inevitable....