Sunday, June 14, 2009

What do you mean you missed the Tonbridge Carnival!

The crowd of at least 10,000 lined Tonbridge High Street in the glorious June sunshine as they patiently awaited the annual procession, to be followed by a fete on the Castle lawn. There was a real atmosphere of people eager out to enjoy themselves this year, you could almost feel it in the air. Perhaps the last year of economic doom and gloom has had an effect on everyone and a good excuse to let rip and enjoy themselves was very welcome and timely. It's all quiet in the streets now but only half an hour ago I was stood near the Big Bridge snapping away on my camera phone as each band, each wacky float went by. At first I thought that it was going to be a bit of an anti climax as Tonbridge's very own Cheryl Baker, which anyone over forty can just about remember from that Eurovision band Fiz Bucks or something! I thought for a split second, Oh no! is that the best Tonbridge can muster? But it certainly wasn't as I was very pleasantly surprised, amused, and entertained by marching bands of, I might add, a much higher standard than usual, music, local school children proudly displaying their school colours, Tonbridge Angels chanting and dribbling along the road, theatre groups, even a lifesize Buzz Lightyear stepping into infinity (and beyond) majorettes and twirlers aplenty, men on stilts, karate displays (pretty tricky on the march, I'd imagine!) mad Irish dancers and lepracorns singing about St. Patrick's Day (Why?!) and not forgetting the Tonbridge Lion, he always has to get in right at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now off to the Castle to watch some bands playing and dancers dancing. I might even let my hair down and have a beer or two. Where are the pictures I hear you all ask? Well, you'll just have to wait a day or so as I forgot to bring the little memory stick thingy device which helps me upload (or is it download?!) onto me computer. I can't be perfect all the time you know....

4 comments:

delia said...

I absolutely agree - this year the carnival was actually rather enjoyable. I loved the bubble machine and the bands, the dancing and the energy. I do wish the majorettes could be more .... well ... you know!!!

Anonymous said...

...less tubby?

delia said...

maybe athletic :)

Anonymous said...

heres another Tonbridge carnival right on your doorstep! But only if you like a pint or two or three or one over the eight.