Saturday, June 13, 2009

Would you pay £28k for one of these masterpieces?...


Some of you may recall seeing a large hairy gentleman appearing on that BBC programme Dragons Den, where a diverse cluster of business people have to pitch an idea to five "Dragons" who will only part with their real cash if they think the proposition is sound and that there's something in it for them. This man actually persauded the Dragons in the den to part with, from memory, £90,000! That man was none other than Tonbridge Sculptor Guy Portelli who produces a weird (and wonderful) range of sculptures that he calls his pop icon collection. He's been reported on quite a bit both nationally and extensively in local rags and you may have seen him around town. Of course he has a web site (doesn't everyone?!) and there's already a link to it on the left of this page. I particularly like the John Lee Hooker and the John Lennon pieces; they all definitely have something quirky and intersting about them and I'd definitely give them house room, if I had the room in my house. Just one thing though Mr. Portelli: I seem to remember that you told Duncan Ballatine, or was it David Khan or that sour faced blond, woman whose name escapes me, that each one sells for around £28,000. And you said it with a straight face. Now were you 'avin a giraffe to hoodwink those Dragons (who deserve to be hoodwinked in my humble opinion) or is that really true?...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

28 grand? Hmm...I only live a few doors away from him... Mwahahahaha!