Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Boot fairs don't belong indoors....

I've just had a little trip out to Arthur's Friendly Boot Fair in the village hall at Three Dead Oaks Green. Why? Well I'm not sure quite what motivated me, boredom probably. Friendly? Yes it was; but I'm afraid it was sparse and pretty dead. It's always the same, unless you get up at the crack of dawn, all the half decent stuff has gone. Indoor boot fairs, for me, basically don't work. Number one: you can't drive a car into a village hall so in essence it's just not the same. Secondly, just because it's inside, some how the sellers think that they can charge five times as much for the same old tut. Thirdly, you usually have either an embarrassing silence in the room or else there's some really out of date record playing; like at today's it was "There's a new dance that is going around, called the bump...." Now that tune is stuck in my head for the next three days! And fourthly, er...that's it..... Roll on the spring for the rain soaked outdoor boot fair season....

No comments: