Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Medway Rive Gauch....

No doubt the weather helped, but it was really great to see so many people out in Tonbridge over the weekend. National Heritage Day meant that several attractions were open for free. I didn't get time to go into the Castle Gatehouse this time, but having been up the tower several times before, I can tell you that it's worth it to see the spectacular views across the town and surrrounding countryside. I also poked my head into the parish church, where there was a craft exhibition on; the tapestries and childrens clothes were not especially my thing, but I was mightily impressed with the wood carvings of Joe King. So much so that I asked him if I could buy one of the ones on display (as I recall it was called "Energy") so impressed was I. He said that he's never tried to sell them, so couldn't give me a price; it seems he just does them for fun, because he wants to and he wouldn't want to be restricted to being commissioned or anything as commercial as that! It's really nice sometimes to meet people like that; so many people are trying to sell you something these days that Joe was a breath of fresh air on a warm Sunday afternoon. I was also impressed with the annual Art on the Railings exhibition, partly because some of the artwork is really quite good (I have been known to buy the odd piece knowing that I can't really afford it) but mostly because, just for a few fleeting minutes, as the sun glinted on the river below, and helped to add vibrance to the paintings, as the artists sat soaking up the sunshine looking dischevelled yet content, one felt a little ripple of that Rive Gauch, avant garde feeling. Maybe I'll put some books down there next year to add to the effect. It just showed how good Tonbridge could be with a little imagination.....

No comments: