Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Are the TJ's down and out?....

Tonbridge Juddians 5 Old Dunstonians 35.
My annual trip to see my old club the Tonbridge Juddians play resulted in bitter disappointment for the second year running I'm afraid. I wish I could muster up a few positive comments, but their performance against Old Dunstonians was, quite simply woeful. I attended the annual sponsors and advertisers lunch before the game, which was a very enjoyable experience. The speeches by the Chairman, Club Captain, Mayor and Club President were entertaining; the meal was delicicious, the drinks very forthcoming, as you'd expect at a rugby club. Unfortunately the first team game that followed was a damp quib in comparison and, for some simply in the way of the interantional match, Scotland vs England, which kicked off at 3-15 (about half way through this game.) I stood through the game in the cold wind and rain and felt really let down, sensing a real lack of spirit, lack of belief. I'm sure that they have basically given up all hope for this season and have one eye on next, post relegation. Dunstonians on the other hand seemed to have belief in bucket loads and showed real enterprise in their moves in the backs, spreading it wide at every opportunity. I'd like to get out to see the TJ's a bit more often than I do, but would need to see a lot more commitment than this display to be tempted to brave the weather....

No comments: