Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dickens is Muscular....

Dickens is muscular! That was the rather odd phrase that I remember my old A level English teacher proudly saying at the end of his lesson. It was Little Dorrit we were studying, which was enjoyable although an ardous book to wade your way through. I used to joke in my cocky 17 year old way that whilst Dickens might be muscular, Shakespeare was still the kiddy! A phrase which I borrowed from the then popular Reggie Perrin TV series because, like most 17 year olds, I could think of little originally funny things to say in order to look cool in front of my class mates. I must say that, having been hooked by the BBC's latest version of Oliver Twist, I am reminded that my teacher was spot on in his assessment all those years ago. Like so few TV adaptations this one shows Dickens in all his muscular glory; he flexes those imagery muscles in this story to such an extent that, in another age, he would have been a contender for Mr. Universe. The story is full of darkness, intrigue, drama, humour, wonderful characterisations, social history of a shameful age and suspense, what more is there? It's a beautiful story and brilliantly executed by the programme makers. Dickens, Mr. Tim Seward if you're out there (that's the name of my old teacher) is indeed MUSCULAR....

No comments: