Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wired for sound....

Well the kids are back at school, it's raining, the traffic's quite bad in Tonbridge High Street (so normal) the sales are getting more and more desparate (70% off, 2 for 1, up to 50% off etc etc) by the end of Jan some shops will be paying us to take the stock off their hands. Can anyone still remember what they got for Christmas, alright the kids will but not many adults I'll wager. My special treat was a really fine 18 year old malt whiskey; now I don't drink whiskey that much, so I do consider it to be a real indulgence, but now I'm made to feel guilty by the media for drinking it because I'm meant to be on detox in January aren't I?! I must admit I have treated myself to new speakers for my hi-fi. I nearly went with the new technology, an i-pod dock, but the guy in the new Richer Sounds in Tunbridge Wells said that the full range speakers were at least twice as good and, since I already had and amp and cd player, it wasn't costing me any more anyway. So that's what I did and they are superb I'd forgotten what it was like to listen to music on a proper system. Not being that technically minded I've only just discovered that I can plug a line into the back of my amp and into the earphone socket of any i-pod or portable cd, mp3 players etc and play it through the new full range speakers in steroephonic spendour! I've also discovered that I can do the same in the car for the price of a ten quid cable. In short I'm, as Cliff Richard once said, wired for sound; now all I have to do is find a time when I can actually play music at full blast when the kids aren't around to say "turn that racket down dad!" I'm sure when I was young it was the other way around....

No comments: