Thursday, January 8, 2009

Take a London Eye Flight....


I went for a day trip with the kids on Monday and they were keen to go on the London Eye. I wasn't too fussed but sometimes you have to go with the flow, especially when you might otherwise be called the worst Dad in the world all day! When we arrived at the ticket office opposite the eye I was shocked to find out that it was over 15 quid just for my "flight" (it's not a ride or an experience but a flight!) So for the three of us it was going to be over 3o quid just to go on a (very) big wheel. I've not been on one at a funfare recently but I'm pretty sure that the last time it cost me around 50p, not £30. I couldn't pull out though after we'd got that far could I, so I just paid up and grumbled under my breath about what a waste of money it was etc. We moved on to the actual giant ferris wheel (no queues on this freezing cold Monday morning, thankfully) and precariously entered the ever moving "pod" which we shared ineviably with a group of Russian tourists, who no doubt thought that the flight was too cheap! The camera came out pretty quickly as we very slowly began to rise up above the London skyline. The kids were really excited as we rose above the Houses of Parliament, level with the BT Tower to the West and the Gerkin in the City to the North East. I have to admit that the views were absolutely staggering; you can see the arch of the new Wembley Stadium clearly in the middle distance. You can see Battersea Power Station as if it's almost right beneath you. In the distance you can see Shooters Hill and the countryside beyond the sprawling mass of London in every direction. You can see the transmitters at Crystal Palace and the towers of Canary Wharf and the docks beyond in the East End. If it weren't for the North Downs you'd probably be able to see Tonbridge on a clear day! Was it worth spending over thirty quid on? Well what can you get for that these days? Do you know I'm going to say it was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience, the image of those views will stay with me and especially with my kids for a very long time. So go on, if you haven't already, take a flight on the London Eye....

2 comments:

TonbridgeR said...

If it was for the kid in us or our own kids we wouldn't do a thing and just postulate about prices.

Anonymous said...

I think it is way too expensive and 'touristy'. I go to Tower 42, a bar called Vertigo, in the City of London and you can go for free (have to book up) and see magnificent views of the City and the Thames in a lovely setting and you get a table with it. OK it is is a bar and generally you have to drink something but it is a lot cheaper than the London Eye and a lot warmer and memorable. As it is a bar, it's unsuitable for kids though.