Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sing if you're glad to be gray....

I'm thinking of starting a march and festival not called Gay Pride but Gray Pride which will stand up for the rights of people with grey hair to show it off and not be ashamed of it! This has been building up inside me now for around twenty years, which coincided with my first grey hair sprouting on my fringe of my thick head of very dark brown hair. Now I've always had and still have a thick thatch of hair and, rather than thinning like my elder brother's, it seems to have got steadily greyer. My initial reaction with the early offending grey hairs was to pluck them out so as not to appear to be getting older; with the passing years that approach would have left me with hardly any hair at all. More recently the greyness has spread to my chest and other areas of the body which we won't go into! About fifteen years or more ago I grew my first goaty beard, in fact my first beard of any kind, to which the landlady of the pub near where I used to work in London, who had never even spoken to me before, reacted with "Oh no love it makes you look about 45!" Well now I am 45 and do you know what I'm now proud to be grey, I'm coming out, I'm singing that I'm proud to be grey! I'm growing a full beard at the moment and I can see the reactions in people's faces, they don't have to say it, although some have, "you look like an old tramp; you're too old and grey to grow a beard; if you shave you look ten years younger, etc. etc." Well I don't want to look young, I'm not young, I'm now going to deliberately try to look older. If you see me and my grey hair and beard around Tonbridge High Street toot your car horn in support, wear a Gray Pride badge or car sticker. If you are grey and covering it up with hair colouring come and join me, come out. So I'm standing up for gray rights, come and join me for an evening of sitting in a rocking chair and smoking a pipe on the veranda at a date to be decided if I can remember to arrange it....

No comments: