Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What did he turn round and say?...

There's this customer in my shop, right, who, sort of like, uses this, you know, odd little, kind of like, phrase to, are you following my meaning, like, to fill in between pauses in, er, you know, conversation. This is straight up, no word of a lie, gen, I promise you. Some thing like this, although only really he can do it:
"...So anyway, like I turned round and said, she was havin' a bit of a laugh...she turned round and she said to me....so I turned round and said.....and she's only turned round and said this...." I've never heard this before, and after a while I become so amused by the use of this phrase that I turn round and lose the thread of the conversation and just wait for the next "...turn round and said...."
I do wonder if he realises he even turns round and says it! (It's really quite contagious you know) I realise that I'm sort of betraying a loyal customer, who will probably become an ex-customer if he ever reads this article but this has fascinated me. Not being originally a Kentish Man, or a Man of Kent for that matter, I wonder if this is some obscure colloquialism....

No comments: