Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Art mart....

Tonbridge blog likes to support local artists and local arts wherever possible. Recently, as aforementioned, I visited to the Art on the Railings exhibition, organised by the, so called, "Platonic Artists" who are Sue Vass and Wendy Asprey. I love Sue's work, one of which above, but not necessarily to hang on my wall. Some of her images I find quite haunting; whilst I admire and appreciate that, I would probably find most of her work too disturbing to have in my home. I don't like Wendy's paintings any more than Sues but they are more hang-upable in my opinion. In fact, thinking about it, her work is probably more commercial and Sue just expresses her feelings totally within her pictures and sculptures. I decided to buy one of Wendy's paintings for a not inconsiderable sum, as a birthday present for my wife partly because she liked it and I liked it, and partly, I'm afraid, it fitted in nicely with the new decor in our lounge. That probably makes me a complete philistine, but surely that consideration has to come into it when buying art; I'm drawing a distinction between what you like looking at in a gallery and what you could live with in your hall, or living room in this case. Wendy doesn't have a web site but I'm sure she'll probably get round to it eventually, you can see (and buy) some of her paintings at Arcadia on Quarry Hill Parade; Sue's site is linked on the right of this page. If you can afford to buy some do it now before they become famous and their prices shoot up....

No comments: