Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Big Brother, Big Snooze....

I was up quite late last night reading and had left the TV on, as I often do, half watching it but mainly reading. Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is really interesting and absorbing stuff; however I'm afraid that what was showing on the telly most definitely was not. In fact I was distracted from Bryson's excellent book by the sheer mundanity of what was showing. It was sensationally bad TV, almost to the point of being interesting for that fact alone, if you follow me. I saw two attractive women, apparently they were celebrities, bitching to each other in whispered tones about not very much while drinking their coco, then they brushed their teeth together and, do you know what they did next? well then they got into bed. Now, as if that wasn't dull enough, the cameras then stayed on them while they lay in bed restless, tossed and turned a bit, whispered a bit more and then, presumably eventually went to sleep. I just had to turn it off; it wasn't just boring, it was annoyingly so, frustratingly awful. I wanted to put my head inside the TV set and yell at the programme makers to do something about it, to make it interesting. You see Celebrity Big Brother is only very marginally less dull than the real Big Brother because, celebrities or not (and that's debatable in most cases) they are just people at the end of the day. They still have boring days and quiet periods; they still have to eat, crap and piss like the rest of us do. There's no wonder that this business with Shilpa Shetty, or "Shipla" as Jade Goody so malapropistically keeps calling her, is causing such a stir. The rest of it is so deadly dull; frankly I'd rather watch a firm of chartered accountants at work than this turgid garbage. If this is what we paid our license fee for I would be demanding my money back and a thousand pounds compensation on top. Just as well it isn't then! Big Brother has had it's day Channel 4; it's time to move on and stop milking it till the last viewer is still sitting up at 2am, glazed eyed and probably in a coma. Anyway back to my Bill Bryson book....

No comments: