Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Would you have another go Mr Mapleson?...

There's another report on the news about a have-a-go heroe coming acropper when he tried to stop a robbery at Rayleigh railway station. Read the story, which is on the BBC site HERE if you wish. Adam Mapleson, the man being hailed a heroe by British Transport Police, is laid up in hospital, having been shot for his troubles. This incident reminded me of something which happened to me quite recently. It wasn't a robbery but, you never know how simple confrontations can end up. I had just collected my daughter from school in Tonbridge and was watching her as she played on the swings in the shadow of the Castle. I didn't think too much of it as a car pulled up in the disabled space in the nearby car park; however I couldn't help but notice that the two occupants in the front seat were not frail old people but two healthy looking young men in white tracksuit style tops. I watched as they slapped the disabled plates on the front dash board of their Vauxhall people carrier; I stood by as they pointed the remote locking key nonchallantly towards the front of the car. No wheel chair or pair of crutches in sight, no mentally handicapped young brother to care for. A knot of injustice tied itself deep in my stomach as they cockily marched away, swaggering their way towards the shops. I rocked forward to take a closer look at their disabled badge; feeling slightly braver as they walked out of sight, I wandered right up to the windscreen. Was it a sense of uncertainty at being wrong, maybe one of them had a false leg but just hid it well, which prevent me from getting involved? Was it fear of being stabbed or shot? Maybe the fact that I had my daughter with me didn't help, made me feel more vulnerable. I've been in similar situations a few times in my life, and all I can say is that you never know what you'll do until you are actually faced with it. Should I feel ashamed or glad that I didn't try and play the heroe? I'd love to ask Mr. Mapleson what he thinks....

No comments: