Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fancy a beer in the evening?...

Some of you are probably aware that my favourite pub in Tonbridge has always been the Ivy House. I'm not sure what it is; it could be the bare floorboards, the old fire place the low ceilings, the well kept beer. I'm not sure but I do know I like sitting in there, sometimes on my own to read the paper, other times to have a chat, and more recently for poetry nights. There's a fantastic web site called beer in the evening on which you can research pubs in a given location and read the comments and views of other customers. I suspect that some of the comments have been put in by landlords and spin doctors but I'm sure that some will be authentic ones. Just search by town on the home page by keying in Tonbridge and find out how awful the beer is said to be in the Chequers and how the Thai food is sadly missed at the Punch and Judy, or indeed how one customer on the Cardinals Error claims to have spotted Nelly the lady ghost in there on several occasions (usually after a skin full of lager!) It's worth a butcher's hook....

No comments: