Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ghosts of the old Workhouse....

Now for those of you who don't know it the old tall building which confronts you when you drive down Castle Street and on to the Bank Street/Slade junction used to be Bank Street school, which closed in the 1960s, becoming Woodland Junior School. Many years before that it was the local Poor House. In fact Back Lane (Bank Street) as it was then officially called, was known by the locals as Workhouse Lane. Now, I'm given to understand, that these were harsh environments at the best best of times; so the building was almost certainly the scene of untimely deaths, probably hundreds of them over the course of its history. Now, I'll start by saying that I am a real sceptic when it comes to ghost stories and the paranormal. However, to my surprise, I have heard from very reliable sources that there have been some wierd goings on in the building, which is currently being renovated for Warners Solicitors before they move their whole operation into there shortly. I'm talking about feeling of presences, things moving around, lights going on and off etc. Ok, all of these things may or may not be explainable but it still sent a shiver down my spine, especially since the only people who are in there at the moment are burly builders and the like, who probably don't scare easily....

No comments: