Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Please God I want to win the lottery....

And don't we all! But actually this is the title of a new book about to be launched by local author and publisher, Clayton Caine aka Angus Kennedy. I haven't read all of it yet but at first glance it seems to be an intriguing account of one man's struggle with the mediocrity of normal half- fulfilled, trapped commuter life, feeling like a drone. Many of us will recognise the symptoms in the opening chapters; then just when you are wondering where the book is going it takes a rather bizarre twist; I won't ruin it for you by telling you what that twist is and as I said I've only scanned it after that point in the story. If I had to compare it to other books I'd say it was something on the lines of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity with bits of Bridget Jones Diary thrown in with a twist of the Northern Lights Daemons for good measure. Worth a read I'd say, and actually you can read the first three chapters on Clayton Caine's web site now by clicking on his name above, so you don't even have to leave your chair! And of course I have a signed copy of the original first edition proof just in case Clayton turns out to be the next Terry Pratchett or JK Rowling....

No comments: