Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tonbridge twirlers update....

What is it with these twirlers. Like the ones above at the recent Tonbridge Carnival. I'm afraid to say I just don't get it! It's obviously a life time passion for some of these girls and boys and I can see it's entertaining for a few minutes as we all marvel at how high they can throw that ?batton?, twirly stick thing Will she or won't she drop it? I'd pretty much forgotten about twirling for another year when I found myself drifting on to the channel showing the hit TV programme Britain's Got Talent last night and, after watching it against my better judgement, I have to admit that I found it strangely compelling. There were the street dancers, the annoying prococious, and yet cute little girl cockney-style singer, a strong man and woman who almost had sex on the stage (only a slight exaggeration) there was an old style club comedian (except he was only about seven years old there was a lively little mad girl dancing troup, and curiously a pretty lady who seemed to be shooting flames from her back side! and I kid you not. But the act that seemed to stand out for some bizare reason was, yes you've guessed it A TWIRLER! There was a bit of an emotional story attached to this particular twirling teenager; he had suffered from very low self esteem and the twirling had, quite literally saved him from going down a bad boy track. Even hardened judges like Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell were won over by this heart wrenching tale of hope from despair. And all because of twirling. Tonbridge blog now awaits the film version based on the same sort of theme as those wonderful flicks Brassed Off and The Full Monty. The sad end to this story was that it wasn't quite enough to get him through to the final, because at the end of the day the urban dancer boys had, let's face it, far more talent and the cute precocious cockney girl was just well granny-heart-meltingly cute, so would have obviously won the phone vote. But I'll tell you what he gave them all a damn good twirl for their money. So listen up Tonbridge twirlers: Tonbridge blog says KEEP ON TWIRLING....

No comments: