Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Restaurant review: Alishan Indian restaurant....

Last night, a little merry after the poetry night at the Ivy House, I ventured into the Alishan, Tonbridge's posh Indian Restaurant, rather late with my wife. I was starving having had only a small sandwich for lunch and nothing since then except around six pints of Carlsberg lager. By now it was around ten to eleven and the restaurant was empty, save for some stragglers on one table, who looked like a group of old friends or work colleagues. Could they fit us in? we sarcastically asked, while looking at the empty tables across the room. They could but we'd have to be out by about 11-30 came the reply form the trendy looking Indian waiter . When they said that we almost walked out because we did want to relax and enjoy the meal after a long day. We were glad that we didn't though because the food was superb and just what the doctor ordered! We shared starters which included onion barghees which were more like onion rings, but absolutely delicious and then my wife had korai king prawn, rice and ocra side dish. I'm afraid I went for my usual, England's most popular dish so I'm told, a chicken tika mossala; not very exciting but beautifully cooked, served and tasting divine. I had two, completely unnecessary, cobra beers, but they were ice cold and just right. The service was friendly, and attentive, but not overly so, the waiters were bordering on cocky, but they never over stepped the line. We were rushed a little by the speed of the courses arriving, but that was unstandable I suppose, given the lateness of our arrival there. The bill came to a little over £45 for the two of us, which took me aback slightly as we were in and out the restaurant in around 50 minutes; but my wife had had the most expensive meal on the menu (just about) and it was a thoroughly enjoyable meal. I've only been once before to the Alishan since they opened, as we usually have take aways these days, but I'll certainly be going back. I'll be getting around a few of Tonbridge's other restaurants in the near future and reporting back. I'll do it Michael Winner style and always pick up the tab so as not to feel beholden to any commercial influences. So please no offers of free meals cos it won't do you any good, I'll still write exactly what I feel. Oh alright then perhaps I'll take you up on that free pizza at Pizza Express, oh go on then ASK I'll take that free bowl of spagetti vogole, if it's still on offer and I haven't had Thai food for a while....

No comments: