Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Your friendly and versatile Post Office....

Does anyone remember when the Post Office used to sell stamps and send your parcels off for you and maybe take care of some useful things like passports and car road tax. The nearest they got to diversifying their sales was to sell the odd commemorative coin collection if there was a Royal wedding or something. It seems these days you can't buy a first class stamp anymore without walking through isle upon isle of racks selling cd's, dvd's computer printers, maps, books, shredder machines, boxes for wrapping your ebay sold items in and other non essentials. Then when you finally get to the front of the queue you are further subjected to a large LED tv screen trying to sell you the new Post Office home and contents insurance or National Savings, or mobile phone services. The other day when I'd just about given up the will to live and the computer voice told me to go to number 7 and I'd finally reached the dear lady in the serving hatch to renew my car tax, which was of course dealt with swiftly and efficiently , it wasn't enough just to leave it there she had to ask me rather sheepishly if I minded them contacting me when my car insurance was due for renewal; I said yes I did mind and it was left there. Why can't we just go into the main post office to post our parcels without being subjected to this tirade of them touting for their own business. If I want to renew my insurance I'll look in Yellow Pages for an insurance broker thanks all the same....

No comments: